"Your management of your supplier base can be viewed as consisting of at least four components:
• Supplier Appraisal and Registration
• Selection of Registered Suppliers for Bid-lists and Invitations to Tender
• Performance Measurement for Vendor Rating, and Uses for that Information
• Supplier Development Activity.
In this 5-day course we view all four components together as a single coherent process. Often the individual components are the responsibility of different functions or departments within the organisation. This programme gives the opportunity for individuals to gain a comprehensive knowledge of all components of the total process, enabling them better to perform any single part.
This course is designed for:-
Staff with some year’s experience who are due to progress to supervisory or junior management positions. They are likely to work on the Procurement, Finance or Logistics functions but may be from a range of disciplines or specialisms. Graduate entrants and development trainees are also probable candidates.
To provide participants with tools and methods and approaches to enable them to identify properly qualified suppliers and contractors, to evaluate their performance on an on-going basis and to agree and monitor achievable development plans for them. In support of this participants will be given the knowledge to enable them to foster and nurture a co-operative working relationship with the suppliers on an on-going basis.
To enable participants to:
- help to design and then to apply effective supplier appraisal processes.
- work with approved and preferred supplier lists for the development of enquiries and invitations to tender, in order to ensure contracts are awarded to the most appropriate supplier or contractor.
- develop and apply a supplier base management process.
- assist in the design, and them implement a vendor rating system appropriate to the circumstances.
- make constructive use of the data gathered from a vendor rating system.
- contribute to the creation of a supplier and contractor development strategy.
- identify and agree performance improvement targets for suppliers.
- identify and communicate to suppliers realistic and achievable routes to development.
- assist suppliers to design, implement and monitor progress of development plans.
- see situations from the supplier’s viewpoint, handle relationships with suppliers and contractors with empathy.